Eligible communities meet the following minimal criteria:
- Population size is within 7,000 - 30,000 people
- Majority of ZIP codes included (>50%) are classified as rural
- Definition of community is clear and has an easily understood "hub" (i.e., city, county, school district, etc.)
- Must have an electric or gas utility that participates in Focus on Energy
- Community’s associated electric utility agrees to incorporate the selected digital platform to engage participating customers in behavior change prompts and track progress
In addition to meeting these criteria, ideal communities will have working relationships with their energy utility/ies and have a strong social network of charities, nonprofits, and community groups that meet regularly.