There are many ways to find a good contractor. Use our Find A Trade Ally tool, ask friends and family for referrals, check references and search for reviews online, such as those from the Better Business Bureau.
However you choose to obtain the information, we recommend the following tips when hiring a contractor:
- Always use a professional contractor.
- Be sure to get more than one bid for the work (at least three bids are ideal).
- The lowest bids aren't always the best – compare itemized bids to determine what products or services, including any maintenance and warranties, are included in the costs.
- Ask for written, itemized estimates that include all potential costs.
- Ask your contractors what trainings or certifications they have received.
- Read reviews on online sites like Yelp and Angie's List.
- Obtain and sign a contract, including: itemized costs, proof of insurance, completion date, and payment terms.
Please sign in to leave a comment.