If you are planning to install a ground source heat pump or geothermal system and receive the incentive from FOCUS ON ENERGY®, make sure it is eligible by referring to these guidelines.
- System must have a coefficient of performance (COP) equal to or greater than:
- 3.6 for water-to-air.
- 3.1 for water-to-water.
- 3.6 for DGX
- System must have an energy efficiency ratio (EER) rating equal to or greater than:
- 17.1 for water-to-air.
- 16.1 for water-to-water.
- 16 for DGX.
- Installed systems must include an air-cooling option.
- System must be the primary heating and cooling source for the site.
- A Pre-Qualified Equipment List is available at focusonenergy.com/residential/renewable/geothermal-heat-pumps.
- Large commercial (i.e. three-phase) units are ineligible under this application. Contact Focus on Energy for more information.
- System must meet ENERGY STAR® requirements
- Geothermal Heat Pump System with Auxiliary Electric Resistance/LP:
- Limited to customers of participating electric utilities. Verify your electric utility here: https://focusonenergy.com/about/participating-utilities.
- Geothermal Heat Pump System with Auxiliary Natural Gas:
- Limited to customers of participating electric and natural gas utilities. Verify your utility here: https://focusonenergy.com/about/participating-utilities.
Incentive calculation example:
- Residential (1 to 3-unit, owner-occupied or rental) and multifamily (residential properties, 4+ units) installations both receive a $750 incentive
To be eligible to participate, the following requirements must be met:
- System must be installed on a site served by a participating electric utility. Verify your utility here: https://focusonenergy.com/about/participating-utilities.
- System and components must have a minimum of a five-year warranty.
- Incentive cannot exceed cost to customer.
- Systems purchased and installed between January 1, 2022, and December 31, 2022 are eligible for funding under the 2022 program year only.
- The only costs eligible for incentives are materials, equipment, and external labor.
- The program is not responsible for items (i.e. applications, supporting documentation, incentive checks) lost or damaged in the mail.
- Incentives paid on this application cannot be claimed on another Focus on Energy application. Similarly, incentives can only be paid to one person or entity.
- All equipment installations are subject to verification inspection by the program to ensure the equipment is properly installed and operating. Participants must allow, if requested, the program or a program representative reasonable access to their home or business to verify the installed equipment.
- You must be a current customer of a participating electric utility in Wisconsin at the time of equipment purchase and installation. Visit focusonenergy.com to verify eligibility.
- The system is purchased new. Resale equipment, new parts installed in existing equipment, or equipment that is leased, rebuilt, rented, received from insurance claims, received from a warranty, received from a grant, or won as a prize do not qualify.
- Equipment is installed by a professional contractor with a valid Wisconsin State professional contractor’s license, appropriate insurance, and permits.
- Equipment is installed conforming to all applicable building, local, state and federal codes, standards, ordinances and regulations, and manufacturer specifications.
- The system is installed in a property owned by the applicant, or the applicant has received permission from the property owner to install the equipment. If you do not own the property where this equipment is installed, as a residing tenant you are responsible for obtaining the owner’s permission to install the equipment for which you are applying for an incentive. Your submission of this application indicates that you have obtained this permission.
- All necessary utility service improvement costs are the responsibility of the customer.
- All necessary service improvement costs, including transformers and service lines, are the responsibility of the customer.
- System installations must be in compliance with all state, local and federal codes, standards and requirements, including any and all applicable utility standards.
- System must be installed in conformity with the manufacturer’s specifications and all applicable codes and standards.
- System owners and installers must obtain all required permits.
- Allow approximately 8-10 weeks for your completed application to be processed. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. Failure to complete the application in full and provide the required supporting documentation will either delay the payment process or result in your application being denied. Receipt of an application does not guarantee payment of an incentive.