If you are planning to install a smart thermostat and receive the incentive from the Heating and Cooling Improvements path under the Home Performance Program, make sure it is eligible by referring to these guidelines.
PLEASE NOTE: If purchased online or from a retailer, please use the Retail Smart Thermostat Application available at focusonenergy.com/smart.
- Must be purchased and installed by a qualified heating and cooling contractor.
- Smart thermostat must be installed at the same time as a program-qualified furnace, boiler, or air source heat pump. Does not qualify if installed with ductless mini-split, ECM replacement, or water heater.
- Eligible models must be selected from the Focus on Energy qualified product list available at focusonenergy.com/smart.
- Program-qualified smart thermostats must feature integrated occupancy-sensing capability, such as motion sensors and/or geofencing with setback.
- Smart thermostat must be installed to use with the home's primary heating source for the home's living space.
- Homes heated by LP (liquid propane), oil, wood, or electric resistance are not eligible for the smart thermostat incentive.
- Homes heated with a geothermal system are not eligible for the smart thermostat incentive.
- Smart thermostat must replace an existing thermostat that does not qualify for program incentives.
- The customer must establish the Wi-Fi connection for program-qualified smart thermostats.
- Limit one smart thermostat incentive per home heating system.
- Installation of a smart thermostat is only eligible for an incentive if it is purchased new. Resale material or material that is leased, rebuilt, rented, received from insurance claims, received from a manufacturer warranty, purchased through other Focus on Energy programs, or won as a prize do not qualify.
- Must be a customer of a participating utility.
- Be sure to check our pre-qualified equipment lists at focusonenergy.com/heatingandcooling
Be sure to review the general program terms here before installing your equipment.