If you are planning to install a high-efficiency furnace and air conditioner combination system and receive the incentive from the Heating and Cooling Improvements path under the Home Performance Program, make sure it is eligible by referring to these guidelines.
Natural Gas Multi-Stage Furnace with ECM and 95%+ AFUE
Installed with a 16+ SEER Central Air Conditioner
- Furnace must have an annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) or 95 percent or greater.
- Seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) for the combination of the furnace, outdoor unit, and inside coil must be 16 or greater.
- SEER based on AHRI database, found at ahridirectory.org, for furnace/air handler, coil, and condenser.
- Must be a customer of a participating electric utility and a participating natural gas utility and use natural gas for home heating.
- Qualified furnace and air conditioner must be installed at the same time and may not be combined with individual equipment incentives.
- If installing a qualified furnace and air conditioner and the condenser cannot be set due to weather:
- The evaporator coil must be installed at the same time as the furnace.
- The invoice must include the condenser model and state when the condenser will be installed.
- The application must be submitted within 60 days of the furnace and evaporator coil installed.
- Furnace must be a sealed combustion unit and must be the primary heating source for the home's living space.
- Furnace must have a multi-stage burner or modulating burner.
- Furnace must have an electronically commutated motor (ECM). An ECM is sometimes referred to as a variable speed, constant-airflow, constant torque, electronically efficient (EEM), or X-13 motor. A permanent split capacitor motor (PSC), single- or multi-speed, does not qualify. A Pre-Qualified Equipment list is available below.
- Chimney liners must be installed where a high-efficiency gas furnace replaces an atmospherically-drafted furnace and only a water heater remains vented through the chimney. The interior opening left by the removed furnace must be closed with a metal cap and sealed with caulk or mortar.
- An air source heat pump cannot be used to meet the air conditioner portion of this incentive.
- Be sure to check our pre-qualified equipment lists at focusonenergy.com/heatingandcooling to make sure your furnace is eligible.
Be sure to review the general program terms here before installing your equipment.