There is an energy efficient and practical option to consider when purchasing holiday lights. Light emitting diode (LED) holiday lights significantly reduce energy use, are safer and allow for more convenient bulb replacement. There are a variety of advantages to using ENERGY STAR® qualified LED lighting technology compared to standard incandescent lights. ENERGY STAR qualified LED lights are:
- More energy efficient. LED holiday lights use up to 90 percent less energy than standard mini lights and up to 99 percent less energy than standard C-7 holiday lights.
- Longer lasting. LED lights can last up to 200,000 hours when used indoors, and some manufacturers also provide a five-year warranty.
- More convenient. LED holiday lights are available in 35 to 100-bulb strings in a variety of colors. If a bulb burns out, the other bulbs will stay lit so bad bulbs can easily be replaced.
- Safer. LED lights produce almost no radiant heat and don't have the same components that cause traditional lights to burn out or combust.
- Sturdier. These bulbs won't break. In fact the casing for the diode is solid plastic so it's almost impossible to break.